I was asked to test out the new ‘Glad’ containers and was pleasantly surprised when a box full of different types of containers and cling wraps arrived. I have a secret ‘thing’ for boxes and containers, they somehow jump into my shopping cart when I go shopping. But, I don’t just buy every container (well, not anymore!). I have a smaller kitchen now, and I have limited space.
Over the years, I had developed an issue with ‘thin’ plastic containers, as they stain really quickly if I store Indian food in them. Turmeric stains and plastic containers are not a match made in heaven! They also lose their shape if I ‘accidentally’ wash them in the dishwasher – let’s face it, washing plastic containers stained with turmeric are not fun to wash either. So, they usually end up in the recycling bin fairly quickly. Thankfully, some of them are recyclable. Hence, my kitchen has been full of glass containers instead. The downside with that is, they are too heavy to carry around and it doesn’t feel safe freezing food in them.
Getting back to my Glad containers!!
My job was to use these containers for one of my recipes, but I decided to test them out to see if they were any different from the usual ‘Z’ branded ones I used to buy previously. I still have memories of my turmeric stained distorted containers with incompatible lids. My mission was to cook and freeze a few meals that would make my life easier for the week.
The soup and salad containers were the perfect size for me to prep my vegetables for the week. There was a slightly tinted version of these, in the same size that were for the freezer, so I used them for the meats.
I hate food waste, and love using the broccoli stems. Sometimes, due to lack of time, it gets wasted. I wanted to see if these would store well in the container for a day or so until I’m ready to cook with them.
I have used these containers to freeze finely cubed celery stems, peppers, onions, mushrooms, green beans – they were perfectly frozen every time.
We buy our chicken from a local farm, and my husband cuts it to size for me. The carcass is used for chicken stock and the remaining pieces, I separated according to their size.
I love the tinted blue colour of these containers by the way – they are almost like a turquoise blue and easy to separate from the other containers. They are ever so slightly heavier in weight as well as their lids click on tighter than the other ones.
The chicken pieces destined for the freezer.
Now comes the fun part!
I made some Chickpeas and broccoli curry with rice for dinner that day.
As usual, I cooked enough that normally would have lasted us 3 meals (for 3 people), because I always cook more than we need and there are times, we get bored of it and it ends up in the compost bin. Wanting to change that, I used the Entre size containers to save some meals for later.
I loved the locking mechanism on these containers, and the size was perfect too. I used up the 5 containers with 3 destined for the freezer for another day, and 2 into the fridge, for our lunch the following day. They were perfectly reheated in the microwave without the containers getting distorted! (Can you tell I’m in love with these containers yet?)
Thanks to these containers, I was able to knock out a fabulous chicken curry in no time during the week, on a day we normally would have picked up a takeaway. The rice was made using the Glad Press’N Seal wrap in the microwave and they were cooked perfectly without the usual mess in my microwave.
Our Friday night Chicken Tikka Masala was gorgeous too.
What I loved about the Glad containers and their Press’n seal range of cling wrap –
- The containers did not distort in the microwave when I reheated food – whether directly from the freezer or from the fridge (amazing!).
- The containers retained their shape after being washed in the dishwasher – again, and again. I am still using them.
- When food was frozen in them in the freezer – it did not get freezer burn and it was really easy to make our own ready to eat, freezer meals.
- The Press’N seal cling wrap was super strong and leak proof when I cooked my rice in the microwave in a glass bowl. The rice came out perfect and it did not leave me a pile of starchy water mess to clean up, as other cling wraps do. I only used one layer of the wrap and it was strong enough. (super-amazed!)
- The feel, texture, weight of the containers is far superior than the other branded ones I have used before.
- I was able to save food that otherwise would have gone to waste.
- It kept my vegetables/produce fresh and easy to use through the week.
- I didn’t have to make any extra trips to the grocery store during the week as everything was prepped and ready to cook from or heat up, thanks to these containers.
- We didn’t have a take-out as we were able to make it all at home. It was not only healthy but cheaper too.
- It was actually fun putting all these containers together as a family over the weekend, and preparing for the week ahead.
These containers PASSED the Turmeric stain test and did not come out soft and warped out of the microwave!!
I have purchased some more of these containers since our little experiment and as a family, we have enjoyed planning our meals and putting them together for the week. It not only saved us time and money, but it was healthier with hardly any food going to waste. As they say, the family that cooks and eats together stays together! (Yes, I made that up… 😉
I am super GLAD that Glad gave me the opportunity to test out their containers and cling wraps – they have actually made me an enthusiastically loyal customer!!
**Please note that whilst Glad sent me the containers to try out at no cost, the thoughts, comments and words written above are all my own and are not influenced by the company.**