Plow Bao Shares Its Vegan Beef & Broccoli Recipe
Joyce Ni, proprietor of Plow Bao, shares her vegan beef and broccoli recipe: "This was our very first rice dish that we debuted when we added the rotating rice entrees onto our new menu."
Everybody's favorite vegan bao trailer has relocated to Buzz Mill Riverside, but don't fret: Bao Taco Tuesday is still happening every Tuesday, with a new taco making its debut this week. PlowBao is available through their pickup window for to-go orders and for delivery via Uber Eats.
Ni added, "I am extremely grateful to the Buzz Mill and PLOW family for making our transition from Buzz Mill Shady to Buzz Mill Riverside so smooth. We are very happy to be back open and feeding the community delicious plant-based dim sum. COVID-19 has certainly affected business and our working conditions, but we have adapted and gone above and beyond with upholding the current guidelines from the mayor. We especially are excited about our partnership with Uber Eats (free delivery!) and currently have $2 off any order $10 or more for new customers."
1 cup light soy sauce
6 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp minced garlic
4 tsp minced ginger
Vegan beef substitute ("We use PLOW distribution product, but the Gardein Beefless Tips are an excellent and accessible choice too!")
2 cups (or more if you want!) broccoli, broken into florets
1 cup sliced shallots
1) Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger together. Set aside. This will be your sauce.
2) Heat up your wok or large pan with some oil. Add in the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
3) Toss in your broccoli for a few minutes with 2-3 Tbsp of water to quickly cook before adding beef.
4) Add the beef and sauce, stir around. Add cornstarch slurry to thicken sauce. (Cornstarch slurry: 2 tsp cornstarch plus 3 or 4 tsp water)
5) Take off heat. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve with rice.
Note: To make it extra special, add some orange zest to the sauce!