MasterChef star Tessa Boersma reveals her secret recipe for making BBQ and tomato sauce
MasterChef Australia star Tessa Boersma has revealed the secret recipe behind her BBQ and tomato sauces.
On Tuesday, the 2019 runner-up detailed the very simple 10-step recipe to fans via Ten Play's dedicated MasterCh ef Australia portal.
'It's as easy as putting in all of the ingredients into one pot to start with to get your base for both,' Tessa said at the start of her cooking demonstration.
Scroll down for video
MasterChef star Tessa Boersma (pictured) has revealed her secret recipe for making BBQ and tomato sauce - and it only has 10 simple steps
The 27-year-old showed how one base can make both sauces with slight cooking tweaks and added ingredients.
Tessa began by placing 10 ingredients into a large saucepan, including two whole brown onions, 1 and 1/3 cups of caster sugar and 4 tins of crushed tomatoes.
She then instructed home cooks to turn the heat up to medium and leave it on the stove for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sauce burning to the bottom.
Easy! Tessa began by placing 10 ingredients into a large saucepan, including two whole brown onions, 1 and 1/3 cups of caster sugar and 4 tins of crushed tomatoes
Tessa then separated the mixtures into two halves, to make both the BBQ and tomato sauce batches at the same time.
One half remained on the stove for BBQ sauce, while the tomato sauce was tended to in a blender.
Both sauces required a few more ingredients to differentiate their signature tastes.
After both were blended to perfection, Tessa transferred them to sauce bottles and they were ready to consume or store.MasterChef Australia star Tessa Boersma's simple recipe for making BBQ and tomato sauce
4 tins of crushed tomatoes
2 whole brown onion
1 1/3 cup of caster sugar
1 1/2 cup of white vinegar
4 tsp flaked sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground celery seed
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1. Place all base ingredients into a large saucepan and mix to combine
2. Turn heat to medium, put lid on and cook for 60minutes. Stirring every couple of minutes.
3. Split mixture into two halves. Place one halve into a blender, and the other halve into a saucepan on medium-to-high heat.
4. Add 1tsp flaked sea salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper, 1t bs brown sugar, 1/2tsp of liquid smoke, 1tbs worcestershire sauce, 1tbs apple cider vinegar and 1tbs molasses to the mixture in the saucepan.
5. Cook for another five minutes while stirring.
6. Add extra tsp of flaked sea salt and 1/4 tsp of Xanthan gum to the mixture in the blender.
7. Mix the ingredients on low in the blender, then a short burst on high until thick and smooth.
8. Check for taste and blend for another 30 seconds on high. And transfer for storage.
9. Add 1/4tsp of Xanthan gum to the mixture in the saucepan while transferring it to an empty blender.
10. Blend on low speed before bringing it up to a high speed. Transfer for storage.
Tesss is t he franchise's most recent runner-up, and unlike her other all-star rivals she hasn't had the chance to make her mark on the culinary world.
However, she has been busy writing recipes, with a cookbook likely in the works.
Masterchef Australia continues Tuesday from 7:30pm on Channel Ten
Tune in! MasterChef Australia: Back to Win continues Tuesday at 7:30pm on Channel 10Advertisement